The vision to establish a community owned bank was led by several local business people. In an effort to reverse the trend in the banking industry, University National Bank, now UNIVERSITY BANK, was formed by this group of local business people and local investors in order to restore a progressive community bank in Pittsburg. The trend in the 1990’s had been for regional corporate banks to buy and control formerly locally owned community banks.
The Vision Statement of University Bank is to bring back the personal relationships with the customer, while offering a full range of banking products and services.
University Bank is Pittsburg's ONLY locally owned and operated banking facility. All decisions are made here for fast, efficient customer service. University Bank opened on January 4, 1999 as University National Bank with 5 employees at its current location at 1206 South Broadway in an abandoned convenience store. The Business Plan included having a full service brokerage branch on site the day the bank opened to assist customers in meeting all of their financial needs.
In 2001, a new state of the art banking facility was built around the old facility at the current location. On April 13, 2005, our newly renovated facility, University National Bank, Arma, now University Bank, Arma, was opened to better serve our customers in northern Crawford County. Currently, there are now 27 full-time employees and 6 part-time employees at the two facilities that are providing outstanding customer service to our growing customer base.
Effective July 1st, 2009 University National Bank name changed to University Bank. University Bank is now a state chartered community bank.